Wildlife plays an important role in balancing the ecosystem and provides stability to different natural processes of nature.
Seven Major Reasons Why Wildlife Should Be Conserved:
- Wildlife is a source of medicine: more than 40,000 species of plants, animals, fungi and microscopic animals are used in some way to benefit humans. ore than a third of pharmaceuticals originated from wild plants.
- Wildlife enriches food production: Bees, bats, birds, among other animals help plants become productive by serving as agents of pollination.
- Wildlife serves as models for man’s innovations and inventions: Inventors and engineers modeled some submarines on fish movement. Nematodes were used by scientists to model an electronic robot that can detect land mines. Airplanes were modeled after birds.
- Wildlife serves as food to people: Animals like wild pigs, deer, and a whole lot of coastal and marine life like fishes, crabs, mollusks, shells, among others support human population.
- Wildlife serves as gene pool for pest-resistant strains: Scientists look for resistant strains in wild plants because wild plants have evolved features resistant to disease.
- Wildlife is a pool of nutrients and determines the rate and extent of nutrient distribution: Wildlife controls the rate and extent by which nutrients are being distributed in an ecosystem. Animals scatter their manure or excretions in different places and make the soil fertile.
- Wildlife has bequest value. The goal of wildlife conservation is to ensure that nature will be around for future generations to enjoy and also to recognize the importance of wildlife and wilderness for humans and other species alike.